A Beloved Madison Icon
Welcome home to Memorial Union, one of the most beloved and historic destinations on UW-Madison’s campus. Treasured by generations, Memorial Union is a place to come to socialize, relax, study and be nourished. The Memorial Union offers a variety of social and educational activities for UW students, faculty, staff, Wisconsin Union Members, and the Madison community.
Opened on October 5, 1928, the Memorial Union sits on the shores of Lake Mendota between Helen C. White Library and the Armory (Red Gym). This building is most recognized for its classic architecture and bright green, orange and yellow sunburst Terrace chairs.
We have worked closely with the Wisconsin State Historical Society to preserve the historic integrity and charm of the building. Some of the rooms look like they always have (only better because of cosmetic restoration) but the infrastructure behind the walls is now up to current building standards. We have made every effort to maintain and preserve the original charm of the building.