Renovation Designed to Last
The Memorial Union is now fully open.
The Living Room of Campus
Welcome home to Memorial Union, one of the most beloved and historic destinations on the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s campus. Treasured by generations, Memorial Union is a place to come to socialize, discuss current events and be nourished. Thanks to the invaluable input, patience and financial support of the students, along with generous donations from Union members and the community, we have preserved, renovated and updated this historic building with care and welcome you back to the living room of campus. Memorial Union first opened October 5, 1928, and, until now, has never been fully renovated. The building has been updated to provide 21st century luxuries like modern heating, air-conditioning and sprinkler systems, well-situated power outlets, state-of-the-art AV in meeting rooms, and updated restrooms. The Wisconsin Historical Society helped to ensure proper preservation and restoration of significant spaces, details and murals.
Students spoke, and we listened. With more than 17,000 separate interactions with students, faculty, staff, alumni, members and the community about the design for the reinvestment project, the Union is, and always will remain, a student-led mission and creation. From passing the referendum to renovate Memorial Union, to determining the design and functionality of the space, to finally working in the new kitchens, offices and program areas, students have played an integral role in every part of the Memorial Union Reinvestment.
View the Memorial Union Reinvestment Summary booklet:
More about Memorial Union Spaces