Terrace season fun returns April 13
The iconic, outdoor Madison destination, called the Memorial Union Terrace, reopens for the 2022 Terrace season on April 13 when the Wisconsin Union team brings back hundreds of green, yellow and orange chairs with a sunburst design to the Terrace.
The Memorial Union Terrace includes more than 40,000 square feet of accessible outdoor entertainment. The chairs’ return process begins on April 13, and the team expects their return to continue for two to three days at the Terrace.
The Terrace chairs with their unique, trademarked sunburst design have become synonymous with summer in Madison and are as well-known and loved as the Terrace on which they sit. The Terrace is between Lake Mendota and the Wisconsin Union’s building, the Memorial Union, which offers indoor seating, events, activities as well as many dining options.
The Union team has welcomed patrons to the Terrace and Memorial Union for more than 90 years. While the Terrace’s chairs changed through the years, starting with wooden chairs in the 1920s to metal chairs made in Wisconsin today, experiences for a lifetime at the Terrace remain a constant in the Terrace’s history.
The Wisconsin Union team anticipates that the following events, services and activities will be available during the 2022 Terrace season:
- Lakeside Cinema, free film showings at 9 p.m. on Mondays from Memorial Day to Labor Day as well as June 12 and 26, July 10 and 24, and Aug. 7 - hosted by the Wisconsin Union Directorate (WUD) Film Committee with support from Dean SSM Health
- Open mic nights on Wednesday evenings beginning in late May - hosted by the WUD Music Committee with support from Dean SSM Health
- Free, live music Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings beginning in late May - hosted by the WUD Music Committee with support from Dean SSM Health
- Free, live jazz performances as part of the Madison Jazz Festival and Juneteenth Jubilee June 18-19 - presented by the Wisconsin Union Theater and the Arts + Literature Laboratory. The weekend also includes two ticketed headliners in Shannon Hall to be announced in April 2022.
- Terrace Art Zone, a series of free art project-creating events Wednesday-Friday evenings - hosted by Wheelhouse Studios
- New to the 2022 Terrace season: Terrace Art Cart, which will offer DIY art kits for purchase - hosted by Wheelhouse Studios
- Terrace Paintacular on Sept. 5, Madison’s largest, free group paint night - hosted by Wheelhouse Studios
- Paddling equipment rentals beginning in late May and camping, hiking and climbing rentals - offered by Outdoor UW
- Family Night on Lake Mendota, a night of family-friendly paddling, sightseeing and games - hosted by Outdoor UW
- Member Thursdays, Wisconsin Union lifetime and annual members-only events, such as tasting events and special member pricing on Terrace Art Cart art kits and Outdoor UW equipment rentals
- Reopening of seasonal Terrace dining options the Brat Stand and the BBQ Stand and the seasonal Memorial Union dining option Lakeview Lounge on to-be-determined dates
In the case of inclement weather during a film showing or live music event, the Union team will aim to move the performance or film showing into der Rathskeller inside Memorial Union.
In Memorial Union, Wheelhouse also offers DIY art activities, art classes, group events, and studio space by reservation or drop-in.
The Wisconsin Union team will share additional details about the Terrace events lineup, including the films lineup, the performance artists, and the arts activities that patrons can enjoy in the weeks ahead. WUD student leaders and Union team members may add additional events to the Terrace season lineup throughout the summer. For the most up-to-date events list, patrons can visit TerraceSummer.com.
Seating at the Terrace and Memorial Union is available on a first come, first served basis.
“The Terrace is returning with dozens of events and activities, from live, free music to paddling equipment rentals,” said Mark Guthier, Wisconsin Union director and associate vice chancellor for Student Affairs at UW–Madison. “We look forward to seeing patrons enjoy the fun experiences for a lifetime that we’ve created for them at the Memorial Union Terrace.”
Purchases at the Wisconsin Union’s markets, cafes, restaurants, and online store as well as Wisconsin Union membership purchases help the Union team provide its buildings, services, events, activities and student leadership opportunities. UW–Madison students gain hands-on learning opportunities as the organizers behind most of the Union’s more than 1,000 events each year. As an organization operating without taxpayer dollars, this financial support is crucial to the Union’s ability to continue to provide experiences and learning opportunities for a lifetime, as it has done for more than a century.
The Wisconsin Union welcomes all 18 and over to join the Wisconsin Union as lifetime or annual members, providing them with access to experiences for a lifetime at Union South and Memorial Union and many member benefits, such as discounts on hotel rooms at Union South and Memorial Union, Wheelhouse classes, Outdoor UW equipment rentals, and more. Guests can purchase day memberships on-site at Memorial Union and Union South dining options, which provide the limited benefits of access to Union spaces and the ability to purchase alcohol if 21 or over.
The Union team is currently hiring, including hiring seasonal team members to support making Terrace season possible as well as hiring for full-time positions. Those interested in learning more about joining the Union team can visit union.wisc.edu/jobs.
While guests are not required to wear face coverings at Memorial Union, Union South or at the Memorial Union Terrace, patrons are welcome to do so.
Patrons can visit TerraceSummer.com throughout Terrace season for the most current information about the 2022 Terrace season and for the fun the Union team and WUD student leaders have planned.