Find Community. Make an Impact.
As the semester begins, students may find themselves pondering questions like: “Where do I fit in?” “Where can I find a group of people like me?” “How can I make an impact?” There are so many opportunities on campus to get involved that it can feel overwhelming. The Wisconsin Union Directorate (WUD) Performing Arts Committee (PAC) is here to guide students into the perfect space for them.
Whether they are interested in music, dance, theater, or theater tech or are enthusiastic about amplifying student voices, the Performing Arts Committee holds a special place for University of Wisconsin–Madison students. The Committee helps plan, promote, and present programs in partnership with the Wisconsin Union Theater staff. Specifically, the Performing Arts Committee director and assistant directors (ADs), in collaboration with the program advisor, manage the implementation of the current Theater season and oversee the selection process for the following year's season.
As an assistant director, students work directly with artists throughout the booking process and on the day of the show in collaboration with Theater staff. There are various student leadership positions available related to multiple interests:
- Marketing assistant director: connects the Wisconsin Union Theater and its spaces to students, assists with graphic design, manages campaigns for PAC, and plans grassroots marketing efforts as well as larger marketing collaborations with the Wisconsin Union Theater
- General stage/committee management assistant director: advances the show, assists artists and theater with day-of show needs, and coordinates the committee at PAC events
Are you a student interested in these roles or know someone who would be interested? Find the details and application link here. Questions? Get in touch with the committee at email@example.com. If a student cannot commit to a leadership position, there are plenty of other ways to get involved! The PAC holds weekly meetings and various events. There’s no cost to join WUD PAC, and all UW–Madison students are welcome.
We are also ready to add new student employees to our team. Students have the opportunity to gain hands-on experiences at our dynamic, professional performing arts theater spaces in the heart of campus. We have exciting opportunities available in the box office, front-of-house, and stage crew starting at $11-13/hour. We’ve highlighted some of our available roles below. All Wisconsin Union Theater student employment positions can be found at union.wisc.edu/jobs.
- Box office clerks assist customers with purchasing tickets, processing transactions, and handling patron questions and concerns with care.
- House managers manage the front-of-house experience and the usher team for individual events.
- Ushers support the set-up of events in Shannon Hall and the Play Circle Theater at Memorial Union, manage access to events, and help patrons navigate performance spaces and the building.
- Stagehands work as part of the technical team to provide lighting, audio, video, backstage, live streaming, and stage management services for events in Shannon Hall and the Play Circle Theater.
If you know Madison area college or high school students, who would be interested in working with us, please let them know about these opportunities to be part of experiences for a lifetime.
We are grateful for your support of these student leadership and employment opportunities and programming through ticket purchases and donations. Your gifts and other forms of financial support make immeasurable difference.
We hope you will join us for our season of in-person and virtual performances and look forward to you meeting our team members, whose roles you helped make possible. Single tickets for most performances and Concert Series subscriptions are on sale now. Subscriptions will continue to be available through Sept. 29. Tickets can be purchased online or at the Memorial Union Box Office. Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions about our student leadership or student employment opportunities or season. We are available at firstname.lastname@example.org.