800 Langdon St. | (608) 265-3000
Welcome home to Memorial Union, one of the most beloved and historic destinations on UW-Madison’s campus. Treasured by generations, Memorial Union is a place to come to socialize, relax, study and be nourished. Thanks to the invaluable input, patience and financial support of the students, along with generous donations from the community, we have reopened all of Memorial Union and welcome you back to the living room of campus.
The Memorial Union offers a variety of social and educational activities for UW students, faculty, staff, Wisconsin Union Members, and the Madison community.
Opened on October 5, 1928, the Memorial Union sits on the shores of Lake Mendota between Helen C. White Library and the Armory (Red Gym). This building is most recognized for its classic architecture and bright green, orange and yellow sunburst Terrace chairs.
We are working closely with the Wisconsin State Historical Society to preserve the historic integrity and charm of the building. Some of the rooms will look like they always have (only better because of cosmetic restoration) but the infrastructure behind the walls will be up to current building standards. We are making every effort to maintain and preserve the original charm of the building.
Memorial Union Reinvestment Timeline
The Memorial Union Reinvestment is broken into two phases. The first phase, completed in 2014, saw the renovation of der Stiftskeller, the Paul Bunyan room and the west wing programming spaces for the Wisconsin Union Theater, Wheelhouse Studios, Wisconsin Hoofers and the Wisconsin Union Directorate (WUD).
The second phase includes rolling opening dates for various parts of the building. The Terrace was renovated and opened in spring 2016. The first floor (and basement and loading dock) opened in late 2016. The remaining floors reopened in September 2017.
Alumni Park, the Wisconsin Alumni Association’s green space adjacent to Memorial Union, will open October 6, 2017.