The Hoofers Winter Carnival will return Feb. 3-11 with everything from ice golf on Lake Mendota to the Hoofer Rail Jam, a snowboard and ski competition.
New this year will be a performance by Scottish fiddler Alasdair Fraser and Celtic cellist Natalie Haas, family fun at Alumni Park, and the hive, a not-to-be-missed surprise on Flannel Day at the Memorial Union Terrace.
The full Winter Carnival schedule is as follows:
- Feb. 3: Rail Jam
- Feb. 4: Super Bowl watch parties
- Feb. 5: Flannel Day and coffee bar at the Memorial Union Terrace, which will include the hive, a not-to-be-missed surprise
- Feb. 6: Snowshoe hike to Picnic Point campfire; and chili and hot cocoa in Mendota Lodge
- Feb. 7: Hoofer Ski and Snowboard Club-hosted film screening and ice cream extravaganza
- Feb. 8: Horse drawn sleigh rides and Alasdair Fraser and Natalie Haas performance
- Feb. 9: Snow Ball
- Feb. 10: Rec Sports Broomball and Hockey Tournaments, Family Fun at Alumni Park, ice golf on Lake Mendota, and kite-making
- Feb. 11: Rec Sports Broomball and Hockey Tournaments
“This is an opportunity to get outside and enjoy the beautiful UW-Madison campus during the winter,” said Forrest Koslowski, Wisconsin Hoofers president. “We’re bringing the community new events and revamped versions of some of the community’s favorite events.”
All events are free except competing in Rail Jam, the Alasdair Fraser and Natalie Haas show, and the Snow Ball.
The Connolly Classic Pond Hockey Tournament and Broomball Tournament are presented by Rec Sports, and Family Fun at Alumni Park is presented in partnership with the Wisconsin Alumni Association.
The Winter Carnival is a long-standing tradition of the student-run Wisconsin Hoofers, a Wisconsin Union club that offers community members and University of Wisconsin-Madison students, faculty and staff opportunities to take part in outdoor recreation through six clubs. The six clubs include: the Hoofer Mountaineering Club, the Hoofer Outing Club, the Hoofer Riding Club, the Hoofer Sailing Club, the Hoofer Scuba Club, and the Hoofer Ski and Snowboard Club.
To learn more about the Hoofers Winter Carnival, including more information about activities’ locations, visit union.wisc.edu/wintercarnival.