We're Keeping It Reel This Winter
Join us for our first-ever educational Ice Fishing Derby. Participants may participate as experienced anglers or can participate as learners by taking one of our ice fishing lessons hosted by the University of Wisconsin Fishing team and our local DNR Wardens. These lessons will be run every hour on the hour so sign up below! Participants in the lessons will be provided with all the necessary fishing equipment needed to fish. Free hot chocolate from Peet’s Coffee will be available for all anglers.
This event will be free of charge, all you need to do is come with a current fishing license ($5.00 first-time angler licenses available at DNR.Wisconsin.gov). Anglers who catch fish worthy of our awards will be given a coupon for a free rental with Outdoor UW. Participants must be students.
Register for Saturday, March 13 Lessons
Register for Sunday, March 14 Lessons
Participant Rules and Instructions
- Participants must obey all DNR fishing regulations.
- Fish must be caught during the event hours on the waters within view of the Memorial Union on Lake Mendota.
- Fish should be measured in a photo and posted to the event Facebook page during event hours for award eligibility. Photos may be used on the Wisconsin Union’s Social Media.
- Wisconsin Union will provide all fishing equipment necessary for first-time anglers. Experienced anglers are welcome to bring their own tackle.
- The event will take place outside, so participants should dress to be warm for the duration. Ice cover can be quite wet so make sure to bring waterproof boots!
- First Fish
- Last Fish
- Biggest Fish
- Smallest Fish
- Biggest Perch
- Biggest Bluegill
- Biggest Crappie
- Biggest Walleye
- Biggest Northern
- Most Species Caught
- Best Fishing Photo