Wisconsin Homecoming Committee, Wisconsin Alumni Association, partners present week of Homecoming 2023 events, activities
University of Wisconsin–Madison Homecoming is back for its 113th year with eight days of events and activities from Sept. 30-Oct. 7. The Wisconsin Homecoming Committee will present free celebrations, including a concert featuring rap artist Armani White, the long-established parade through downtown Madison, and – new this year – a parade after-party on Library Mall. The Wisconsin Alumni Association (WAA) will host additional events, including a block party and pep rally at the Memorial Union Terrace featuring fireworks, weather permitting. This year’s homecoming coincides with the university’s celebration of its 175th anniversary.
The Wisconsin Homecoming Committee, WAA and partners present the following Homecoming events for students, alumni, faculty, staff and honorary Badgers:
Now through Sept. 20
- Coloring page contest, presented by the Wisconsin Homecoming Committee
- Homecoming Kickoff Concert featuring Armani White and D.A.R.S., presented by the Wisconsin Homecoming Committee and the Wisconsin Union Directorate (WUD) Music Committee
- Paint the Town: opportunity for students to decorate Memorial Union and State Street windows, presented by the Wisconsin Homecoming Committee
- Medallion Hunt: daily treasure hunt with prizes, presented by the Wisconsin Homecoming Committee
- Window Display Showcase featuring windows painted by UW–Madison registered student organizations, presented by the Wisconsin Homecoming Committee
- Cocoa with HoCo: free hot chocolate outside Memorial Union and Union South, presented by the Wisconsin Homecoming Committee
- UW Homecoming Blood Drive, presented by the Wisconsin Homecoming Committee
- Shindig at the Sett featuring bingo, bowling and karaoke, presented by the Wisconsin Homecoming Committee
- Family-Friendly Virtual Scavenger Hunt, presented by WAA
- Fill the Hill: annual fundraising initiative to benefit UW–Madison, presented by WAA
- Badger Games featuring outdoor games on Library Mall, presented by the Wisconsin Homecoming Committee
- UW Homecoming Parade, presented by the Wisconsin Homecoming Committee
- New: Homecoming Parade After-Party, presented by the Wisconsin Homecoming Committee
- UW Homecoming Block Party and Pep Rally, presented by WAA
- Multicultural Homecoming Yard Show, presented by WAA, the UW–Madison DDEEA, and UW–Madison Fraternity & Sorority Life
- Badger Meet Up–Hoco Edition, presented by WAA
- Badger Bash: Wisconsin vs. Rutgers University, presented by the Wisconsin Union
- Divine Nine Plaza Kickback, presented by WAA and UW–Madison Fraternity & Sorority Life
- Multicultural Homecoming Tailgate and Watch Party, presented by WAA, UW–Madison DDEEA, and UW–Madison Fraternity & Sorority Life
One of the week’s most popular festivities, the UW Homecoming Parade, will kick off an evening of celebration on Oct. 6, including circus specialists and other performers. The parade will begin on the corner of Gilman Street and Wisconsin Avenue at 6 p.m., proceeding down Gilman Street to State Street and ending on Lake Street at approximately 7:30 p.m.
After the parade, the Wisconsin Homecoming Committee invites attendees to make their way to Library Mall to enjoy the Homecoming Parade After-Party before bringing out their Badger spirit at WAA’s UW Homecoming Block Party and Pep Rally. Individuals can then swing by the Multicultural Yard Show, featuring performances by members of National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) and Multicultural Greek Council (MGC) of UW–Madison Fraternity & Sorority Life.
“Every year, the Wisconsin Homecoming Committee is able to create and plan a wide variety of events for the greater campus community," Wisconsin Homecoming Committee President Katherine Reed said. “I am thrilled to be a part of the team that brings UW–Madison and the greater Madison area together to celebrate our shared Badger identity!"
The Wisconsin Homecoming Committee is a nonprofit, student-run organization in the Wisconsin Union that aims to bring the community together to celebrate what it means to be a Wisconsin Badger. Whether someone is a past, current or future Badger or a Badger-at-heart, everyone is welcome to join in on the festivities.
This year’s Committee executive board members include President Katherine Reed, Vice President Mariana Ray-Hernandez, Director of Marketing and Communications Amari Mbongwo, Assistant Director of Marketing and Communications Caasi Woji, Campus Events Chair Ella Matz and Parade Representative Sophie Gerstman.
“The Wisconsin Alumni Association is excited to celebrate UW’s Homecoming with alumni near and far, and proud to offer a variety of activities for alumni, students and the Madison community in partnership with the Wisconsin Homecoming Committee,” said Sarah Schutt, chief alumni officer and executive director of the Wisconsin Alumni Association. “One of our longest-standing annual events, Homecoming is a special time for all Badgers to show their spirit, particularly this year during the university’s 175th anniversary.”